Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Kerry

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kerry.


  • Place
    Kilflyn
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Kilflyn
  • Content
    KILFLYN, a parish, in the barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Tralee, on the upper road to Listowel; containing 1072 inhabitants, of which number, 222 are in the village.

    It comprises 6481 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which upwards of one half consists of coarse mountain pasture; the remainder, with the exception of about 270 acres of bog, is good arable land. A vein of limestone extends into this parish from Kilfeighney, but at too great a depth to be properly worked : coal is also supposed to exist. A patent for fairs on May 11th and 12th July 8th and 9th, Oct. 6th and 8th, and Nov. 5th and 6th, granted by Chas. II., has been lately revived by T. Ponsonby, Esq., whose seat, Crotto House, is situated in an extensive and finely wooded demesne, which extends into the parish of Kiltoomy. Crotto Cottage is the residence of the Rev. J. Alton. From the bridge over the small river Shannow, Glenballema, which here presents the form of an amphitheatre, has a highly picturesque effect.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, united about 1750 to those of Kiltoomy, Killaghin, Kilshinane, Ballinacourty, Minard, and Stradbally, together constituting the union of Kilfyn, in the patronage of the Earl of Cork. The tithes amount to £84. 18s. 5.50d., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar; and the tithes of the entire union to £549. 16s. 9d. The church, a plain structure, was erected in 1812, for which purpose £800 was given by the late Board of First Fruits ; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £217 for its repair and the erection of a tower. The glebe house was built in 1818, for which a gift of £450 and a loan of £250 were made by the late Board. There are also a church and a glebe-house, with a glebe of 14 acres, at Ballinacourty, which now generally gives name to the union.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Abbeydorney : the chapel is a small building. About 200 children are educated in a private school. There are some vestiges of the old church; and at Kill is a holy well, still frequented by the peasantry for devotional purposes.
  • Place
    Kilflyn
  • County
    Limerick
  • Parish
    Kilflyn
  • Content
    KILFLYN, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (S.E.) from Kilmallock, on the road from Limerick city to Kildorrery; containing 1562 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is situated in the midst of a group of mountains separating the counties of Cork and Limerick, was waste and uncultivated previously to the year 1740, when a considerable number of Palatines, a branch from the colony of Rathkeale, settled here, and contributed greatly to its improvement.

    It contains 9086 statute acres, of which 5328 are applotted under the tithe act, and the remainder are chiefly mountainous and unproductive. A great portion of the waste has been brought into cultivation, and at the head of Glenroe is a large tract of land equal to any in the barony for fertility. The principal mountains are Kilcruig and Coolfrie, or Houndscourt. Slate of good quality is quarried in the immediate neighbourhood.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the patronage of the bishop: the tithes amount to £160. The church, a neat edifice with a square tower, was built in 1812. The glebe-house is a handsome residence; and the glebe comprises 16 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Glenroe; the chapel, situated in the village of Ballyorgan, is a small thatched building.

    The parochial schools are endowed with an acre of the glebe, and are aided by the incumbent; and there is a private school, in which are about 30 children.

    There are remains of a Trinitarian monastery founded by St. Finian about the year 547, and rebuilt in 1296 by the Fitzgeralds, whose property in this parish now belongs to the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. A considerable portion of the building fell down in 1835, having been undermined by the peasantry in digging for treasure supposed to have been deposited there.