Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kildare.
ContentCADAMSTOWN, or CADMANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of CARBERY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Kilcock ; containing 1205 inhabitants.
It is situated on the road from Kilcock to Kinnegad and comprises 3637 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act..
Balyna House is the seat of R. More O'Ferrall, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, and is annexed to the union of Castle-Carbery ; the whole of the tithes, which amount to £118. 8s 10.25d., are impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Balyna or Johnstown, comprising also the parishes of Mylerstown, Ballynadrimna, Nurney, Kilrenny, and Carrick : there are three chapels in the union, situated respectively at Johnstown-Bridge, Garrisker, and Nurney ; the first is a handsome edifice recently erected in the later English style, with a tower and spire of hewn stone.
A school at Balyna, chiefly supported by R. M. O'Ferrall, Esq., affords instruction to about 100 boys and 60 girls, and there is a private school, in which are about 20 boys and 20 girls. At Johnstown-Bridge are the ruins of the old church.