Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Kildare

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kildare.


  • Place
    Castle Rickard
  • County
    Kildare
  • Parish
    Castle Rickard
  • Content
    CASTLE-RICKARD, a parish, partly in the barony of CARBERY, county of KILDARE, but chiefly in the barony of UPPER MOYFENRAGH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER 4 3/4 miles (N. E.) from Clonard; containing 554 inhabitants.

    This parish, which derives its name from an ancient castle, of which there are no remains, is situated on the river Boyne, and on the road from Edenderry to Trim.

    The seats are Castle-Rickard, the residence of G. Lucas Nugent, Esq.; and Lion's Den, of Godwin Swift, Esq.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes, amount to £170. The church is a plain edifice in good repair. The glebe-house was built in 1790, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits; and there are two glebes, comprising 10 acres.

    In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kildalkey.

    There is a hedge school at Inchmore of about 50 boys and 40 girls.
  • Place
    Castle Rickard
  • County
    Meath
  • Parish
    Castle Rickard
  • Content
    CASTLE-RICKARD, a parish, partly in the barony of CARBERY, county of KILDARE, but chiefly in the barony of UPPER MOYFENRAGH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER 4 3/4 miles (N. E.) from Clonard; containing 554 inhabitants.

    This parish, which derives its name from an ancient castle, of which there are no remains, is situated on the river Boyne, and on the road from Edenderry to Trim.

    The seats are Castle-Rickard, the residence of G. Lucas Nugent, Esq.; and Lion's Den, of Godwin Swift, Esq.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes, amount to £170. The church is a plain edifice in good repair. The glebe-house was built in 1790, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits; and there are two glebes, comprising 10 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kildalkey.

    There is a hedge school at Inchmore of about 50 boys and 40 girls.