Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Kildare

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kildare.


  • Place
    Kilberry
  • County
    Kildare
  • Parish
    Kilberry
  • Content
    KILBERRY, a parish, in the barony of NARRAGH and RHEBAN WEST, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles (N. W.) from Athy, on the river Barrow; containing 1732 inhabitants.

    It comprises 7863 statute acres, as applotted tinder the tithe act, and valued at £4832 per annum; about two-thirds are arable and pasture land, and one-third bog.

    The seats are Barrowford, the residence of B. Braddell, Esq.; Bellview, of R. Drought, Esq.; Salisbury, of Capt. Lawler; Shrowlan, of E. Pilsworth, Esq.; Geraldine, of the representatives of the late Col. Fitzgerald; and Bert House, the noble residence of Lord Downes.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the gift of the Vicars Choral of St. Patrick's Cathedral; the rectory forms part of the corps of the deanery of St. Patrick's. The tithes amount to £360, of which two-thirds are payable to the dean and one-third to the vicar. The church was opened for divine service in 1836.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Athy.

    About 50 children are educated in a school that is partly supported by Lord Downes, and about 150 in two private schools.

    Here are the ruins of two castles; also the well of Tobbera, which is dedicated to St. John.
  • Place
    Kilberry
  • County
    Meath
  • Parish
    Kilberry
  • Content
    KILBERRY, a parish, in the barony of MORGALLION, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Navan, on the road from that place to Kingscourt; containing 2002 inhabitants.

    The land is of good quality; about two-thirds are meadow or pasture, and about 100 acres bog. The parish is intersected by the Yellow River, on which is a corn-mill.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and forms part of the union of Donaghpatrick: the tithes amount to £335, and there is a glebe of 6 acres, valued at £18. 9s. 2d. per annum.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also Donaghpatrick and Teltown, and containing two chapels, situated at Kilberry and Oristown.

    About 100 children are educated in a school to which Col. Everard gives a house and garden rent-free, and C. Smyth, Esq., subscribes £10 annually; and about 50 are taught in a private school.

    A chantry of two priests, or chaplains, was formerly attached to the church of St. Mary, in this parish.