Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kildare.
PlaceKilcullen Bridge Town
ContentKILCULLEN-BRIDGE, a market and post-town, in the parish and barony of KILCULLEN, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 5.50 miles (S. by W.) from Naas, and 21 (S. W.) from Dublin City; containing 699 inhabitants.
This town had its origin in the erection of a bridge over the river Liffey, in 1319, from which period it continued gradually to increase, and has now totally superseded the ancient town of Kilcullen, of which the market has been removed to this place. It is two miles to the east of the former town, and within a short distance of the great Bog of Allen, and consists of one principal street containing 112 houses; it lies chiefly on the western bank of the river, and is well supplied with water; the bridge has a venerable and interesting appearance, and not far from the eastern end of it is a large rath. The market is on Saturday, and is well supplied; and fairs are held on Feb. 2nd, March 25th, June 22nd, Sept. 8th and 29th, Oct. 2nd, and Dec. 8th. A constabulary police station has been established here; and petty sessions are held every Saturday. There is a dispensary, and in the vicinity is a small monastic establishment.