Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kildare.
ContentKILL or KILL of the GRANGE, a parish in the half barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.E.) from Dublin City, on the road to Bray (Co. Wicklow) ; containing 1305 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 1551 statute acres, besides 257 at the Kill of the Grange or Clonkeen. Much of the land is in pasture, and the system of agriculture is improving.
The mountain and sea views are very fine, and there are many seats, the chief of which are Newtown Park House, the residence of H. S. Close, Esq. ; Belville of Lieut-Col. Cash ; Killiney Castle, of P. Warren, Esq. ; Carriglea of the Rev. T. Goff ; Stoneville of Lieut-Col. Pratt ; Somerton of S. Foote, Esq. ; Newpark of Willoughby Carter, Esq. ; Ferney of H. Scovell, Esq. ; Newtown Park House, of R. Perry, Esq. ; Barton Hall of J. Hall, Esq. ; Eversham of W. Minchin, Esq. ; Abiline and Naesgwydd of T. Dixon, Esq ; Bellosguardo, of R. Powell, Esq. ; Hollyville, of J. B. Stopford, Esq. ; Stillorgan Glebe, of the Rev. E. Greene ; Newtownpark Cottage of C. Doyne, Esq. ; Anglesea of C. Carleton, Esq. ; Johnstown of Capt. Whyte, R.N. ;Woodpark of D. Corneille, Esq. ; Flower Grove of the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Viscount Mountmorres ; Rochestown House of J. Morgan, Esq. ; Springfield of P. Plunkett, Esq. ; Granite Field of Mrs. Spears ; Rochestown Avenue, of B. Molloy, Esq. ; Woodpark, of J. J. Kirk, Esq. ; Rockland, of P. Lynch, Esq. ; Rosey Park of R. Brown, Esq. ; AShgrove, of J. Murphy, Esq. ; Birch Grove, of G. Williamson, Esq. ; and Kill Abbey of R. Espinasse, Esq. This last seat was the country residence of the deans of Christ Church, Dublin, and is part of the estate of Kill of the Grange of Clonkeen, but has been held by lease for above 120 years by the Espinasse family.
The parish is in the Diocese of Dublin, and is a curacy, forming part of the union of Monkstown ; the rectory is part of the corps of the deanery of Christ Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £171.15s.3d., of which two-thirds are payable to the dean and one-third to the curate, who also receives £42.2s.6d., as the tithes of the Kill of the Grange of Clonkeen.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kingstown and Cabinteely.
There is a parochial school near Cornel's Court ; and C. Doyne, Esq., has erected and supports an infants school near his seat.
The greater part of the village of Newtown Park is in this parish, as is also the village of Killiney, which is delightfully situated. Near it, on the summit of one of the Killiney hills, is an obelisk, commanding extremely beautiful views : it was erected by John Malpas, Esq. ; in 1742, principally to employ the neighbouring poor in a season of distress. Near Kill Abbey, are the ruins of an old church, in many places covered with ivy ; in the cemetery are the remains of an ancient cross, and there are remains of another at the entrance of the road leading to the church. In the demesne of Carriglea is an ancient rath.
ContentKILL, a parish, partly in the barony of SOUTH NAAS, but chiefly in that of SOUTH SALT, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3.50 miles (N. E.) from Naas, on the road from that place to Dublin City; containing 2493 inhabitants.
A commandery for Knights Hospitallers was founded at Kilhill in the 13th century, by Maurice Fitzgerald, and chapters of the order were held here in 1326, 1332, 1333, and 1334; it existed till the Reformation, when it was granted to John Allen.
The parish comprises 9986 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £7897 per annum: the soil is of good quality and principally under tillage. It includes the merged parish of Kerdiffstown, or Cardifftown, comprising 670 acres. The village of Kill consists of 113 houses, and has a neat appearance.
Bishopscourt is the handsome residence of the Hon. F. Ponsonby; and here is the seat of Mrs. Hendrick, in the demesne of which are the picturesque ruins of the old church of Kerdiffstown.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united to the rectory of Lyons, and held with the impropriate parish of Whitechurch; the rectory is partly impropriate in the Earl of Mayo and partly appropriate to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £696. 13s. 6d., of which £305 is payable to the impropriator, and £391. 13s. 6d. to the incumbent; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £468. 10s. The church is a very neat structure, with a square tower and lofty spire, built in 1821 by aid of a loan of £2000 from the late Board of First Fruits, and recently repaired by a grant of £144 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: it has an organ, which was given by the Earl of Mayo. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 16a. 1r. 36p.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Newbridge, and partly the head of a union, comprising the remainder of Kill and the parishes of Lyons, Bodenstown, and Furnace, and containing a chapel at Ardclough, in Lyons, and one at Kill, which is a remarkably neat building, with a tower and spire, completed in 1826.
In the village is a school of about 30 children, under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; the school-house, an ornamented building, is kept in repair by the Earl of Mayo. There are also two other public schools, in which are about 90 children; and in two private schools are about 50 children.
Here is a large moat; and about a mile eastward is Heartwell, formerly a castellated mansion surrounded by a fosse. Numerous skeletons have been found in turning up the ground. Near Heartwell is a rivulet, on the bank of which are extensive depositions of calcareous tufa, which are hardened by exposure to the air, and although very porous are sometimes used in building. Extensive ramifications of stalactite are also found.