Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kildare.
ContentKILMAOGUE, or KILMAGUE, a parish, in the barony of CONNELL, county of KILDARE; and province of LEINSTER, 6 1/2 miles (N. by E.) from Kildare , containing 3004 inhabitants.
This parish, through which the Grand Canal passes, comprises 6511 statute acres as applotted under the tithes act; there is much bog and agriculture is improving. A patent exists for fairs on May 25th, June 29th, and Sept. 25th, but none are held.
The principal seats are New Park, the residence of J. Pimm, Esq.; Doro Ville, of W. Ireland, Esq. of and Annsboro', of G. Nelson Wheeler, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united in 1782 to the rectory and vicarage of Rathernon and the rectory of Lulliamore which is a prebend in the cathedral of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £245. 14s. 1d., and of the benefice to £400. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 21a. 0r.21p. The church is a plain edifice, which the Ecclesiastical Commission intend to rebuild.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Allen and Milltown, comprising Kilmaogue, Rathernon, Feighcullen, Rathbride and Pollardstown, and has a large chapel at the Leap.
There are two public schools, in which about 220 children are educated; and five private schools, in which are about 170 children, also a Sunday school.
Here are several Danish forts. A new village is being erected in the centre of the parish, under the superintendence of the Rev. A. J. Preston, which is intended to be a refuge for Protestants.