Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kilkenny.
ContentBALLYBUR, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S, W,) from Kilkenny city; containing 237 inhabitants.
It is situated on the road from Kilkenny to Callan, and comprises 655 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. During the prelacy of David Hacket, who presided over the see of Ossory from 1460 to 1478, this place, which at that time had its own church, was annexed to the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, at the instance of its patron, R. Vole, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of St. Canice, which is served by the vicars choral of the cathedral, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £43. 8 shillings and 4 pence.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is partly in the union or district of St. Canice ( Kilkenny city), and partly in that of Danesfort.