Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kilkenny.
ContentBALLYGURRUM, or BALLYGORUM, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4.25 miles (W. S. W.) from New Ross (Co. Wexford); containing 693 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the river Barrow, and comprises 1827 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1655 per annum. The village is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the rivers Suir and Barrow. Here is a square tower or castle, built at an early period by the Fforstall or Forestall family, which afterwards belonged to the Aylwards, whose name is perpetuated in that of Aylwardstown, the adjacent property of the Earl of Besborough, and now the seat of the family of Strange.
The scenery of the immediate neighbourhood is highly interesting, and is embellished with Ringville, the seat of Lady Esmonde, and Rochestown, that of ?? Forestall, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Rossbercon; the rectory is impropriate in the Corporation of Waterford. The tithes amount to £165, of which £110 is payable to the corporation, and £55 to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Slieruagh. There is a pay school, in which are about 50 children.