Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kilkenny.
ContentBALLYLARKIN, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1.75 mileS (S. W.) from Freshford; containing 243 inhabitants.
It is situated on the road from Freshford to Johnstown, and comprises 4733 statute acres, of which £1370 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at £1090 per annum: the lands are arable and pasture in nearly equal portions.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £92 6 shillings 1 and three quarter pence, of which £61 10 shillings 9 and a quarter pence is payable to the appropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe : the Protestant inhabitants attend divine service at Freshford church.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford.
Here are the ruins of a castle, once the seat of the Shortall family, which for a long time was of great note in this county.