Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kilkenny.
ContentBALLYTARSNEY, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 .50 miles (E. S. E.) from Carrick-on-Suir: the population is returned with the parish of Poleroan.
This parish is situated on the road from Waterford to Limerick, and is about five British furlongs in length and breadth, comprising 1116 statute acres.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Clonmore : the tithes amount to £81. 14 shillings, 8 and a half pence.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Moncoin. Here are the remains of a square fort, which appears to have been of considerable strength.