Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kilkenny.
ContentBURNCHURCH or KILTRANEEN, a parish partly in the barony of GALMOY, but chiefly in that of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Kilkenny city; containing 1450 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the road from Kilkenny to Carrick on Suir, and comprises 5373 statute acres: it is principally under an improved system of tillage; there is plenty of limestone, used chiefly for burning into lime.
Farmley, the seat of R. Flood, Esq., is situated in a well planted demesne, and was the residence of the Right Hon. Henry Flood, one of the most distinguished members of the Irish House of Commons, who died here in 1791, and was interred in the parish church.
This place has a patent for fairs, but none are held.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ossory, to which the vicarages of Danesfort, Kilfeara, Abbey Jerpoint, West-Jerpoint, Ballylinch and Grangeleggan or Grangeclovan, and the denominations of Dunbell, Grange-Kilree, Woolen-Grange, Blackrath-Grange, Garranama, Mocktown or Rathbin, Ardera, Lismatigue and Plebestown have been immemorially united, and were consolidated by act of council in 1678, forming the union of Burnchurch, which is in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral and the vicar. The church is a neat edifice with a steeple, built by aid of a loan of £600 in 1810, from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe house was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500 in 1815, from the same Board: the glebe comprises 20 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions, the parish is included in the four several unions or districts of Danesfort, Freshford, Moncoin and Ballyhale.
The parochial school is supported by the incumbent; and there is a private school, in which are about 70 boys and 30 girls; also a Sunday school.
Near the church is a fine old castle in a good state of preservation.