Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Kilkenny.
ContentDERRYNAHINCH, or DERRYNAHENSY, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 1/4 miles (S. E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny city to Waterford; containing 1784 inhabitants, and comprising 8171 statute acres.
It is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Knocktopher the tithes amount to £225.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district called Ballyhale, and comprising the parishes of Derrynahinch, Knocktopher, Aghaviller, Kilkeasy, and parts of Burn church, Jerpoint, and Kells, in which are five chapels that of Derrynahinch being in the village of Ballyhale.
There are four private schools, in which are about 180 children, and a Sunday school.