Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Laois

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Laois.


  • Place
    Attanagh
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Attanagh
  • Content
    ATTANAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of CLARMALLAGH ( was UPPER OSSORY); QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 3/4 miles (E. S. E.) from Durrow containing 750 inhabitants.

    This parish, formerly called 'Rathanna and Attier', is situated on the river Nore, and comprises 2445 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory; the rectory is united to that of Aharney and in the patronage of the Crown; the vicarage is united by act of council to the vicarage of Aharney and the rectories of Kilmenan and Rossconnell, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £138 9 shillings 2 and 3/4 pence of which £92 6 shillings 1 and 3/4 pence is payable to the Rector, and the remainder to the vicar; and the gross tithes payable to the vicar amount to £362. 11 shillings 3 and 1/2 pence. The tithes of the rectorial union amount to £318. 19 shillings 5 and 3/4 pence. The church is a plain neat edifice, was erected by aid of a loan of. £850 from the late Board of First Fruits, n 1821 The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 40 acres on which also the church is built, and there is another glebe of l00 acres in Rossconnell.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is one of the nine denominations that form the union or district of Ballyragget. (Note: in the article on Ballyragget aka Donoughmore, Lewis mentions that there were two chapels for that R.C. parish, one in Ballyragget and one in Attanagh)

    The parochial school, in which are 25 children, is supported by the rector and vicar; and there is a private pay school.
  • Place
    Attanagh
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Attanagh
  • Content
    ATTANAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of CLARMALLAGH ( was UPPER OSSORY); QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 3/4 miles (E. S. E.) from Durrow containing 750 inhabitants. This parish, formerly called 'Rathanna and Attier', is situated on the river Nore, and comprises 2445 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory; the rectory is united to that of Aharney and in the patronage of the Crown; the vicarage is united by act of council to the vicarage of Aharney and the rectories of Kilmenan and Rossconnell, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £138 9 shillings 2 and 3/4 pence of which £92 6 shillings 1 and 3/4 pence is payable to the Rector, and the remainder to the vicar; and the gross tithes payable to the vicar amount to £362. 11 shillings 3 and 1/2 pence. The tithes of the rectorial union amount to £318. 19 shillings 5 and 3/4 pence. The church is a plain neat edifice, was erected by aid of a loan of. £850 from the late Board of First Fruits, n 1821 The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 40 acres on which also the church is built, and there is another glebe of 100 acres in Rossconnell. In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is one of the nine denominations that form the union or district of Ballyragget. The parochial school, in which are 25 children, is supported by the rector and vicar; and there is a private pay school.