Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Laois

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Laois.


  • Place
    Castlebrack
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Castlebrack
  • Content
    CASTLEBRACK, a parish in the barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN’S county, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W.N.W.) from Portarlington; containing 1855 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north east angle of the country, where it joins King’s county (Offaly) and on the river Oweness, derives its name from the castle now in ruins, which was built by the Dunne family and was formerly a strong place surrounded by a moat. Fairs are held on May 16th and Aug 12th. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and is part of the union of Rosenallis or Oregan; the rectory is impropriate to Gen. Dunne. The tithes amount to £210.2s.6d., of which £140.1s.8d., is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar. In the Roman Catholic Divisions it forms part of the union or district of Mountmellick. The chapel is on the townland of Clonaghedor, where there is a national school, in which are about 30 boys and 40 girls, and a hedge school in which there are abot 30 boys and 20 girls.