Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Leitrim

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Leitrim.


  • Place
    Ballinamore Town
  • County
    Leitrim
  • Parish
  • Content
    Descriptions from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

    BALLINAMORE, a market and post town in the parish of OUTRAGH, barony of CARRIGALLEN, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 19.50 miles (W.) from Cavan (town), and 77.50 miles (N.W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 312 inhabitants.

    This town which is situated on the road from Killyshandra (Killesandra, Co. Cavan), and intersected by a small river, consists of 63 neatly built houses, and a considerable number of straggling cottages. It was formerly the seat of the iron manufacture, and works were established for smelting the ore found in the vicinity. The market which is on Tuesday, is one of the largest in the county for grain and provisions; and fairs are held on the 15th of February, May 12th, Aug 16th, and Nov 12th. It is a constabulary police station; petty sessions are held irregularly; and the quarter sessions for the southern division of the county are held here in April and October. A court house has recently been erected, to which is attached a bridewell containing four cells, with apartments for a keeper; the cost of the building was £2200, of which £1200 was lent by the Government, to be re-paid by instalments: it is also in contemplation to build a market house.

    The parish church, a Roman Catholic chapel and a place of worship for Methodists are situated in the town.

    Near it is Garadise Lough, a considerable sheet of water, on the shore of which is Garradice, the seat of W. C. Percy, Esq.; and there are several other lakes in the vicinity.