Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Leitrim.
ContentCLONCLARE or CLOONCLARE, a parish, partly in the barony of ROSSCLOGHER, but chiefly in that of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing with part of the post-town of Manorhamilton, 9128 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the road from Enniskillen (Co. Fermanagh)to Sligo town , and comprises 33,241 statute acres, as applotted under the tithes act, besides a great extent of waste land, much of which is reclaimable, and a large quantity of bog. Coal exists, but is not worked; and there is abundance of limestone, some of which is used for building. Large veins of iron ore of the best quality exist in the mountains of Doon and Glenfarne, which also furnish freestone equal to that of Portland. There is a bleach green at Glenboy.
Glenfarne Hall the residence of C. H. Tottenham, Esq., is situated in a very extensive demesne on Lough MacNean, which communicates with Lough Erne. The other seats are Hollymount, the residence of Simon Armstrong, Esq.; Glenboy, of Lewis Algeo, Esq; and Fortland Cottage of G. Gledstanes, Esq.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Kilmore, united from time immemorial, to the vicarages of Clonlogher and Killasnett, together forming the union of Manorhamilton, in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £300, of which £200 is paid to the Bishop, and £100 to the vicar; and the gross tithes of the benefice amount to £421 6s. 8d. The church is a plain building with a handsome spire, erected in 1804, and for its repair the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £115.
The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is also called Glenfarne; there are two chapels, one at Glenfarne and the other in the town of Manorhamilton; a third is in the course of erection at Kilticlogher.
At Manorhamilton are two places of worship for Methodists.
There are six schools in the parish; that at Manorhamilton is supported by a bequest, in 1819, from the late James John Masterson, Esq., of £26 6s. 6d., per annum. In these schools about 170 boy and 230 girls receive instruction, and 14 boys and 25 girls are taught in a private school.