Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Leitrim.
ContentKILLARGY a parish, in the barony of DROMAHAIR, county of LEITRIM and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 .50 miles (S. W. by S.) from Manorhamilton, on the road to Carrick-on-Shannon; containing 4409 inhabitants, of which number 110 are in the village.
This parish. including a portion of Lough Clean, or Belhovel Lake, comprises 13,898 statute acres, of which 10,912 are applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally good, and chiefly under tillage; the system of agriculture is improved; there is no waste land, except what affords either turbary or indifferent grazing, but there is a large portion of bog; there are some quarries of good limestone both for building and for agricultural uses. Fairs for live stock are held at Belhovel on Feb. 2nd, March 25th, Whit-Monday, Aug. 15th, Sept. 8th, and Dec. 26th.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate : the tithes amount to £60, of which £40 is payable to the bishop and £20 to the vicar. The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1000, is a neat edifice, built in 1820. The glebe-house, towards which the same Board, in 1815, gave £100 and lent £600, is a good residence ; and the glebe comprises 288 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is the head of a union or district comprising also part of the parish of Clonlogher; the chapel is situated in the village.
About 400 children are taught in four public schools, and there are three private schools, in which are about 220 children.