Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Limerick.
ContentBALLINLOGHY or BALLINLOUGH, a parish in the barony of SMALL COUNTY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (E.N.E) from Bruff; containing 1286 inhabitants.
This parish which is on the road from Pallas-Greine to Bruff, comprises 2007 acres as applotted under the tithe act, and is the joint property of the Earls of Sandwich and Aldborough. The land is in general good, and is subdivided into a great number of small farms; the inhabitants are amply supplied with fuel from three bogs in the neighbourhood.
It is a vicarage in the diocese of Emly and forms part of the union of Aney; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Limerick. The tithes amount to £243 16s. 10d., of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar. There is neither church nor glebe-house: the glebe comprises 12 acres of excellent land which are wholly claimed by the Earl of Kenmare.
In the Roman Catholic divisions, it is part of the union or district of Hospital and Herbertstown.
Here are two eminences, one called Cromwell's Hill and the other Cromwell's Moat; both have traces of works on them, but apparently of much greater antiquity than the time of Cromwell.