Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Limerick.
ContentBALLYNAMONA, or MOORTOWN, a parish, in the barony of SMALL COUNTY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N. E) from Bruff; containing 518 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the road from Hospital to Pallas-Greine, and comprises 1317 statute acres, the land is in general remarkably good, resting upon a substratum of limestone, through which appear some small rocks of basalt. About one-fourth is under tillage, and the remainder is meadow and pasture, with more than 100 acres of turbary, which affords excellent fuel; the system of agriculture is improved.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union of Aney ; the rectory is impropriate in Edward Deane Freeman, Esq. The tithes amount to £131, of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Hospital and Herbertstown.
On the banks of a small stream, close to the road, are the remains of the castle built by the Raleighs in the reign of Elizabeth, and not far from it are the ruins of the old parish church.