Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Limerick.
ContentBULGADINE, a parish in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N) from Kilmallock; containing 1152 in habitants.
In the ecclesiastical divisions, this is not known as a separate parish, being regarded as part of the parishes of Ugare, Kilbreedy-Major and Athnassey: it comprises 3395 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
The occupiers of land in this neighbourhood are subjected to a penalty of £10 per acre if more than two acres out of every twenty are tilled; hence the meadows and pastures are very extensive, and are considered as the most fertile in the county. Near the village, which is very small, consisting of only a few thatched houses, is the ancient and neglected mansion of the famiy of Evans, now the property of Lord Carbery, which, though at present in a state of miserable dilapidation, was formerly one of the most magnificent residences in the province.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this place is partly in the union or district of Kilmallock; and partly in that of Athnassey or Ballinvana: it contains a chapel for this part of the union.