Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Limerick

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Limerick.


  • Place
    Clonelty
  • County
    Limerick
  • Parish
    Clonelty
  • Content
    CLONELTY or CLONITA, a parish in the Glenquin division of the barony of UPPER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.E.) from Newcastle; containing 1327 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the road from Ballingarry to Newcastle, and contains 3541 statute acres. The land is generally good: about one-half is under tillage, producing abundant crops of wheat, oats and potatoes; the remainder is meadow and pasture, the latter of which includes the high grounds of Knockaderry, which are of silicious formation, and are being gradually brought into cultivation. Within the parish is the village of Knockaderry (described separately).

    Near the village is Knockaderry House, the ancient seat of the D'Arcy family, and present residence of T. D'Arcy Evans, Esq., situated amidst extensive plantations.

    The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Limerick episcopally united in 1744, to the vicarage of Cloncah, and in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of the cathedral church of St. Mary, Limerick to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes amount to £285, of which £195 is payable to the vicars choral, and the remainder to the vicar; the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £180. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is united to Cloncah and Grange, and is the head of a union or district called Knockaderry, in which there is a small plain chapel.

    At Knockaderry is a national school, in which are about 50 boys and 20 girls: and there is a private school of about 30 boys and 20 girls.

    The old church is supposed to have been founded by St. Ita or Ittai, early in the 7th century; its ruins form a picturesque object. Near it are the remains of Ballynoe castle, which was built by the Knights Templars.