Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Limerick.
ContentCLOUNSHIRE or CLONSHERE, a parish in the barony of LOWER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, on the road from Limerick city to Rathkeale, 1.50 miles (W.) from Adare ; containing 542 inhabitants and comprising 1124 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about half of which is under cultivation and the remainder is cold, dry, strong pasture. Limestone abounds. Here are two flour-mills, worked by excellent machinery, the produce of which is chiefly sent to Limerick.
Clounshire House, the residence of J. Dickson, Esq., is pleasantly situated amid flourishing plantations.
The rectory and vicarage form part of the union of Rathkeale and corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Limerick: the tithes amount to £90; there is a glebe house of seven acres of good land.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the district of Adare.
The parochial schools, in which are 60 boys and 30 girls, were built and supported by J. Dickson Esq.
The ruins of the ancient castle of Gurran Buidhe form a conspicuous object; and the ruins of Clounshire, or Clonshere, castle are in the valley near the mill. Some remains of the old church also exist, and in the churchyard are the shafts of two very ancient crosses.