Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Longford.
ContentCLONODONNELL, a parish, partly in the barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Longford town, on the road to Strokestown; the population is returned with the parish of Killashee.
It contains 1889 statute acres of arable and pasture land, and 3372 of bog. Good limestone is found, much of which is burned in the vicinity of Richmond harbour, which place has a penny post to Longford, and a distillery manufacturing 80,000 gallons of whiskey annually, and employing about 70 men. The Royal Canal terminates there, and enters the river Camlin, which joins the Shannon.
The principal seats are Springfield, the residence of Captain V. Skipton; and Rhynmount, of W. D'Arcy, Esq.
It is a vicarage in the diocese of Ardagh, united, with part of the rectory by act of council in 1781, to the rectory and vicarage of Killashee; the other portion of the rectory is appropriate to the see : the tithes amount to £77 11s. 2d., of which £26. 6s. 11d., is payable to the Archbishop of Tuam, and £51. 4s. 3d., to the vicar. There is a glebe of 19a. 2r. 25p.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union of Killashee and has a chapel at Richmond Harbour, where a school is supported by the incumbent, who built the school house on the glebe, and uses it as a lecture room. On the island of Clondra are the remains of a very ancient church; and near it are the ruins of Clonlemon Castle.