Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Louth

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Louth.


  • Place
    Ballybarrack
  • County
    Louth
  • Parish
    Ballybarrack
  • Content
    BALLYBARRACK, a parish in the barony of UPPER DUNDALK, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1.25 mile (S. S. W.) from Dundalk, on the road to Ardee ; containing 444 inhabitants.

    It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1018.25 statute acres ; the lands are principally under tillage, and there is neither bog nor waste.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh and wholly impropriate in P. Coleman, Esq : the tithes amount to £186. 2s. 6d. There is no church nor any provision for the cure of souls.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is in the union or district of Kilcurley, or Haggardstown, where the chapels are situated.

    There is a hedge school, in which are about 50 boys and 20 girls.