Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Louth.
ContentBALLYMAKENNY, a parish, partly in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, but chiefly in the county of the town of DROGHEDA, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles (N.) from Drogheda; containing 563 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the road from Drogheda to Annagasson, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1592.25 statute acres, of which 848.25 are in the county of the town of Drogheda; 860 acres are applotted under the tithe act.
Listoke, the residence of Lieut.-Col. Battersby, is a handsome mansion pleasantly situated.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, erected in 1781; and in the patronage of the Lord Primate ; the rectory is appropriate to the see. The tithes amount to £131. 5s., which is wholly payable to the perpetual curate, the Primate being only nominally rector, and deriving no emolument from the appropriation, The church is a handsome modern edifice with a spire, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £123.12s.10d. The glebe-house is situated near church: the glebe comprises 22a. 3r. 2p.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is one of the three that constitute the union or district of Moylary, also called Ballymakenny.
There is a school affording instruction to about 45 boys and 12 girls.