Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Louth.
ContentCASTLE-BELLINGHAM, a post-town, in the parish of GERNONSTOWN, barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Dundalk, and 34 (N. by W.) from Dublin ; containing 115 houses and 61 l inhabitants.
This town, which is situated on the river Glyde, and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Belfast, takes its name from a castle belonging to the Bellingham family, which was burnt by the forces of Jas. II. in their retreat before the army of King William, previously to the battle of the Boyne. The neighbourhood is embellished with several handsome seats, of which those of Lady Bellingham, Miss Bellingham, Major Sweeny, and Mrs. Filgate, are the chief. An extensive brewery, in which the celebrated Castle-Bellingham ale is made, and a large malting house, both belonging to J. Woolsey, Esq, give employment to about 70 persons. Fairs are held on Easter-Tuesday and Oct. 10th, for cattle, linen, &c. Here is a constabulary police station. The parish church, remarkable for its neatness is situated in the town, and contains a fine font and some handsome monuments.
There is a school supported by subscriptions ; and a dispensary. Near the church, and at the entrance to the castle demesnes some neat cottages, in the Elizabethan style have been erected for four widows, and endowed with £64 pet ann., in 1826, by Sir W. Bellingham, Bart. There are some remains of the ancient castle near the river ; and in a small bog adjoining. severe perfect heads, with part of the horns, of the elk or moose deer have been found.