Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Louth

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Louth.


  • Place
    Dromin
  • County
    Limerick
  • Parish
    Dromin
  • Content
    DROMIN, a parish, in the barony of COSHMA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Bruff, on the roads from Limerick City to Cork City, and from Croom to Kilmallock; containing 1454 inhabitants.

    This parish comprises 4007 acres, as applotted under the tithe act, the whole of which is fertile and well cultivated: about one-half is in tillage, the remainder being rich meadow and pasture land, on which great numbers of cattle are annually fattened. There is neither waste land nor bog; fuel is consequently scarce, and the poor suffer greatly for want of it.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the patronage of John Croker, Esq., of Ballynaguard, being usually held with Athlacca; the tithes amount to £305.9.5., and the glebe comprises 24 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district comprising also Athlacca, and parts of the parishes of Uregare and Glenogra, and containing two chapels, one in Dromin, and one in Athlacca.

    There is a private school, in which about 50 boys and 20 girls are taught.

    The ruins of Dromin church stand on an eminence near the middle of the parish, not far from which are the remains of Meadstown castle, built by the sept of O'Hanlon, in the fifteenth century, the walls of which are nearly entire; it was dismantled by order of Cromwell in 1654. A part of this castle is occupied by a farmer, and has acquired some modern celebrity by being the birth-place of Daniel Well, Esq., author of the "Harmonies of Poetry and Music".
  • Place
    Dromin
  • County
    Louth
  • Parish
    Dromin
  • Content
    DROMIN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 1/2 miles (N.W.) from Dunleer, near the road from Drogheda to Dundalk; containing 855 inhabitants, of which number, 141 are in the village.

    According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 2042 1/4 statute acres. Rathcoole House, the seat of E. Tisdall, Esq., is situated in a neat demesne.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and forms part of the union of Collon : the tithes amount to £204.9.7., and the glebe comprises 9 3/4 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dunleer: the chapel adjoins the village.

    About 180 children are taught in a school under the patronage of the Rev. W. H. Forster, the incumbent, who pays the master £10 per ann.

    Contiguous to the village are the remains of the old church, and a churchyard; and near the chapel is a large rath.