Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Mayo.
ContentKILMACLASSER, a parish, in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S.E.) from Newport-Pratt, on the road from that place to Castlebar; containing 3444 inhabitants.
This parish, of which the surface is very uneven, comprises 6544 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2357 per annum; it is chiefly under tillage, and there is a great quantity of bog. Very good limestone is obtained; and there is a bleach-green.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Aughaval; the rectory is appropriate to the prebends of Killabegs and Faldown. The tithes amount to £130, of which £45.10s. is payable to the prebendaries, and £84.10s to the vicar. Divine service is performed in a school-house.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilmina, and has a neat chapel, which was built about 1820, at an expense of £600.
About 170 children are educated in two public, and 70 in one private school.