Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Mayo.
ContentBALLYNAHAGLISH, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 5.50 miles (W.) from Tralee; containing 2883 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the bay of Tralee, and comprises 2875 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is chiefly under tillage, producing excellent crops, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years; seaweed and sand are extensively used as manure, and good limestone of a kind approaching to grey marble, is also obtained.
The seats are Oyster Hall, that of Barry Collins, Esq., and Oyster Lodge of ?? Nelligan, Esq. The village of Taulert or Chapeltown lies on the south-eastern shore of the creek or harbour of Barra, and is partly inhabited by fishermen.
On account of the fine bathing strand in Tralee, and a chealybeate spring of great power on the border of the parish and adjoining Clogherbrien, it is much frequented during the summer by visitors from Tralee and other places, for whose accommodation some neat bathing-lodges have been erected. There is a coast-guard station at Kilfinura, on Tralee bay.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, with the entire rectory of Annagh and the rectory and vicarage of Clogherbrien episcopally united from a period prior to any known record, forming the union of Ballynahaglish, in the patronage of Sir Edward A Denny, Bart. : the rectory is impropriate in the Denny family: the tithes amount to £30. 15s. 4d., and of the whole benefice to £733. 16s. 10d. The church, an ancient a structure built in 1619, is situated on an eminence thence called Church-hill, a little to the east of Chapeltown ; it was repaired by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £127 for its further repair. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £100 from the same Board, in 1741; it adjoins the church, and commands fine views of the bays of Tralee and Brandon, and the Dingle mountains. The glebe comprises 34 statute acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ardfert ; the chapel, situated in the village of Chapeltown, is in a very dilapidated condition.
There are three private schools, in which about 120 children are educated.
ContentBALLYNAHAGLISH, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2.50 miles (S. by E.) from Ballina town ; containing 5103 inhabitants.
This place derived its name, signifying in the Irish language "the Town of the Church"; from an ancient abbey or religious establishment, of which there are some slight remains, though nothing of its history is recorded. The parish is situated on the west bank of the river Moy, which is navigable here and is celebrated for its salmon; and comprises 11,559 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £4620 per annum. The system of agriculture is improved; there is a very extensive tract of bog, of which a great portion is reclaimable, also abundance of limestone, sandstone, and granite quarried for building and for mending the roads.
The gentlemen's seats are Mount Falcon, that of J. F. Knox, Esq., on the demesne of which is a good race-course; and Rehins, of W. Atkinson, Esq.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, and is part of the union of Ardagh ; the rectory is impropriate in the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £300, payable in moieties to the impropriators and the vicar. The church is in ruins. The glebe comprises 15 acres ; there is no glebe-house.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Backs, which comprises also the parish of Kilbelfad, and contains two chapels, one in each parish; that of Ballynahaglish is not yet completed.
There is an ancient burial-ground in the townland of Ballynahaglish, and another at Killeen, which is unconsecrated and is appropriated to the interment of infants dying before baptism.
There are two schools, situated respectively at Mount Falcon and Lisaniska, under the National Board, the former aided by an annual donation from J.F.Knox, Esq.; two schools under the Baptist Society, and one at Rehins Lodge, supported by Mrs. Atkinson and her daughters. In these are about £30 boys and 180 girls: there is also a hedge school of about 20 boys and 20 girls.
There are the remains of an ancient castle called Castle-MacAndrew, also several cromlechs and numerous encampments, in the parish; and at Gortnaderra is a curious cave.