Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Meath.
ContentARDMULCHAN, a parish, in the barony of SKREEN, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles (N, E.) from Navan ; containing 1061 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the high road from Navan to Drogheda, and the new road from Trim to Duleek runs through the southern part of it: its northern part is intersected by the Boyne navigation. It comprises 3347 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about two-thirds are under tillage, and the remainder is good grazing land; there is no waste or bog. Limestone abounds, and there is a good quarry of stone for building.
Ardmulchan House is the seat of R. Taaffe, Esq. ; and Hayes, a handsome residence of R. Bourke, Esq
The parish is in the diocese of Meath, and the rectory is united to Painstown : the tithes amount to £253.16s. 10.50d.
In the Roman Catholic divisions also it is part of the union or district of Black Lion or Painstown.
There is a free school for boys and girls at Hayes, under the patronage of R. Bourke, Esq., who built the school house, gave an acre of land rent-free, and allows £24 per ann. for its support; the girls school is principally supported by Mrs. Bourke.