Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Meath.
ContentASSEY, or ATHSY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER DEECE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Navan, on the river Boyne ; containing 108 inhabitants.
The land, though not rich, is tolerably productive; a considerable portion is under tillage, and the remainder is good grazing land.
Bellinter, the seat of the Rev. J. Preston is situated in a well-wooded demesne of more than 800 acres, stretching into the adjoining parish of Balsoon.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, to which the rectory of Balsoon was united by diocesan authority in 1826, together forming the union of Assey, in the patronage of the Crown : the tithes amount to £62 15s. 4.50 d., and the gross amount of tithes of the benefice is £182. There is neither church nor glebe-house in the union, the occasional duties of which are performed by the incumbent of Kilmessan, who receives £24 per annum, besides the glebe, which consists of three acres, valued at £6 per annum. The Commissioners of Ecclesiastical Inquiry, in 1831, have recommended that the two parishes be formed into one, to be called the parish of Athsy, and that a church and glebe-house for a resident minister be erected.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Dunsany and Kilmessan.