Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Meath.
ContentBURRY,a parish, in the barony of UPPER KELLS, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 and 3/4 miles (S. W.) from Kells; containing 1027 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the road from Mullingar to Kells and Drogheda, and comprises 3339 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land, which is of great fertility, is almost equally divided between tillage and pasture, and the system of agriculture is in a highly improved state. There is a considerable tract of bog, which partly supplies the town of Kells with turf; and there are some quarries of limestone and greenstone.
Balrath, the seat of C. A. Nicholson, Esq., is a handsome residence, pleasantly situated in an extensive and well wooded demesne, with a park well stocked with deer, and in which are some remains of the old, church, with a burial-ground attached. The other seats are Springville, the residence of P. O'Reilly, Esq.; and Berford, of J. Dyas, Esq.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Kells and corps of the archdeaconry of Meath : the tithes amount to £150. The glebe comprises 2 roods 19 perch, valued at £1. 10s. per annum.
In the Roman Catholic divisions, also, it forms part of the union or district of Kells.
There are two daily pay schools, one at Drumbarrow and the other at Scurlogstown, in which are about 100 boys and 60 girls.