Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Meath

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Meath.


  • Place
    Killagh
  • County
    Meath
  • Parish
    Killagh
  • Content
    KILLAGH, or KILLAUGH, also called MOYMENE, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles (W.) from Oldcastle; containing 2221 Inhabitants.

    It is situated on Lough Shillin, and comprises 6283 statute acres, including about 160 of bog, and 50 of plantations.

    Crossdrum is the residence of E. Rotherham, Esq.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes amount to £203. 1s. 6.25d. The church is a neat edifice, built by aid of a gift of £500, in 1800, from the late Board of First Fruits, which in 1814 gave £450, and lent £50 for the erection of the glebe-house; the glebe comprises 20 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Kilbride, (called Killeagh and Kilbride) and containing a chapel at Moat, in this parish, and one at Dalysbridge in Kilbride.

    About 150 children are educated in two private schools.
  • Place
    Killagh
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Killagh
  • Content
    KILLAGH, a parish, in the barony of DELVIN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2.75 miles (S.) from Castletown-Delvin, on the road from that place to Mullingar; containing 264 inhabitants.

    It comprises 1291 statute acres, and is principally in tillage. there is plenty of limestone. Durdistown is the seat of Theobald Featherstonhaugh, Esq.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Kilcumney; the tithes amount to £40, and there is a glebe of 18 acres, valued at £20 per annum.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Castletown-Delvin. Here are the ruins of the old church.