Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Meath.
ContentKILLOGHCONNOGHAN, or KILACONNIGAN, a parish, in the barony of LUNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6.75 miles (W.) from Trim, on the road from Dublin to Mullingar; containing 2329 inhabitants.
It comprises about 4000 acres, of which about one-fourth is bog, much of which was planted by the late Earl of Darnley; the remainder is principally under tillage. There is a good quarry of limestone, and at Inchmore is a corn-mill. Fairs are held on March 25th, May 12th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 1st.
The principal seats are Elm Grove, the residence of J. Browne, Esq.; Parkstown, of J. Campbell, Esq.; and Kilmur, the property of A. Montgomery, Esq.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, and in the gift of the Earl of Darnley, who is impropriator of the rectory: the tithes amount to £300, payable to the impropriator, who allows the perpetual curate £69. 4s. 7.50d., per annum.. The church is a neat structure, with a spire and steeple, and was erected in 1820, by aid of a gift of £200 from the late Earl of Darnley, and a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board, in 1822: the glebe comprises 21 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kildalkey, and has a handsome chapel, towards the erection of which the late Earl of Darnley gave £100, and half an acre of land on which it is built.
About 150 children are educated in a school supported by the Earl of Darnley, and the same number in three private schools.
There are some remains of a Franciscan friary and a castle at Donore, and of a castle at Carranstown.