Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.
ContentARDNAREE, a village, in that part of the parish of KILMOREMOY which is in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, adjacent to Ballina (county Mayo), and containing 2482 inhabitants.
This place, which maybe considered as a suburb to Ballina, is connected with that town by a bridge over the river Moy ; and consists of one principal street, from which several lanes diverge, containing altogether 312 houses. In 1427 a monastery for Eremites of the order of St. Augustine was founded here, but by whom is not known; there are some slight remains, consisting of a beautiful arched doorway and several windows. The environs are remarkably pleasant, and a new bridge of four arches has been recently erected. Fairs are held on June 20th, Oct. l0th, and Dec. 13th ; and here is a constabulary police station.
The parish church, a plain edifice with a tower and spire, is situated in the village; and a Roman Catholic chapel, a handsome structure in the later English style, and ornamented with minarets, has been erected at an expense of £9000, and to which it is contemplated to add a tower and spire; when completed, it will be a great ornament to the town and suburb of Ballina ; it is the cathedral church of the R. C. see of Killala, the bishop of which resides here.