Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Sligo

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.


  • Place
    Banada Village
  • County
    Sligo
  • Parish
    Kilmactigue
  • Content
    BANADA, a village, in the parish of KILMACTIGUE, barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Tubbercurry: the population is returned with the parish.

    It comprises about 30 cabins, and is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Moy, which winds through it in a broad deep stream, and on the road from Tubbercurry to Foxford (County Mayo). A friary of Eremites, following the rule of St. Augustine, was founded here in 1423, and through the industry of a brother of the order, was dedicated to Corpus Christi.

    The modern seat, called the Abbey, is the residence of D. Jones, Esq., and from a plantation rises the lofty steeple of the ancient monastery built of hewn stone and still entire. Fairs are held on Jan 17th, May 19th, and Aug. 7th; and here is a station of constabulary police.