Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Sligo

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.


  • Place
    Castleconnor
  • County
    Sligo
  • Parish
    Castleconnor
  • Content
    CASTLE-CONNOR, a parish, in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Ballina (Co. Mayo); containing 4507 inhabitants.

    This place derives its name from an ancient castle, of which the ruins are still visible ; and is situated on the river Moy and on the road from Ballina to Sligo town. The parish comprises 16,223 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the greater portion is under an improving system of tillage, and there are some large stock farms ; there is a considerable extent of bog, and abundance of limestone is quarried for agricultural and other purposes.

    The principal seats are Moyview, that of the Hon. Col. Wingfield ; Cottlestown, of S. Kirkwood, Esq. ; Knockroe House, of G. Ruttledge, Esq. ; Seaville, of P. I. Howly, Esq. ; and Kinnaird, of J. Paget, Esq.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, united by act of council, in 1806, to the vicarage of Kilglass ; the rectory, formerly appropriate to the see, is now sequestrated in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The tithes amount to £476. 6s. 1d., one-half of which is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the other to the vicar. The church was built by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in1818. The glebe-house was built in 1820, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £675 from the same Board : the glebe of the union comprises 50 acres.

    The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; the chapel is at Castletown.

    A school is supported at Doorneen ; and there are three pay schools, in which are about 240 children. Here is also a dispensary. There are some remains of the old castle on the bank of the river Moy, and of the old church of Kilvanley with a burial-ground. There are also some Danish raths.