Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Sligo

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.


  • Place
    Collooney Town
  • County
    Sligo
  • Parish
    Ballysadere
  • Content
    COLLOONEY, a post-town, in that part of the parish of BALLYSADERE which is in the barony of TIRAGHILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 1/4 miles (S.) from Sligo town on the road to Dublin, and 98 3/4 (N. W.) from Dublin ; containing 553 inhabitants.

    It consists of one long street, containing 90 houses, of which 13 are slated, and the remainder thatched. At Carricknagatt the French, after quitting Castlebar (Co. Mayo), were attacked on the 5th of Sept., 1798, by Col. Vereker, with a detachment of the city of Limerick militia, some yeomanry, and the 24th light dragoons; but after a smart action of about an hour and a half, the Colonel was nearly surrounded, and obliged to retreat, with the loss of his artillery, to Sligo, whence he withdrew to Ballyshannon (Co. Donegal). The assault was sufficient, as it is supposed, to deter the French from attacking Sligo, and they marched to Dromahaire (Co. Leitrim). The market is on Thursday ; and fairs were formerly held on May 3rd, June 1st, Aug. 9th, Sept. 5th, Nov. 21st, and Dec. 16th, but that of Nov. 2lst is the only one now held. Here are a large bleaching establishment and an oatmeal-mill.

    Near the town are Onnachmore, the residence of C. R. O'Hara, Esq. ; and Camp Hill of A. Kelly, Esq.

    In the town are the parish church and a Roman Catholic chapel, a linen- hall, a dispensary, and two schools. It is a station of the constabulary police.