Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Sligo

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.


  • Place
    Kilglass
  • County
    Sligo
  • Parish
    Kilglass
  • Content
    KILGLASS, a parish, in the half-barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N.N.E.) from Ballina (Co. Mayo), on the bay of Killala; containing 4275 inhabitants.

    Many of the peasantry who assembled here in 1798 were killed in an attack made by the cavalry. The parish comprises 12,478 statute acres, chiefly under tillage, with a considerable quantity of bog..

    Carrowin is the property of E. Tennant, Esq.; and Kinnaird is the residence of J. Paget, Esq.

    It is a vicarage in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Castle Connor; the rectory is appropriate to the Bishoprick, the deanery, and the precentorship of Killala. The tithes amount to £472, of which £234 is payable to the bishop, £4 to the dean, £4 to the precentor and £234 to the vicar. The church is a neat building with a spire, erected in 1829 by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a glebe of 17 acres but no glebe-house.

    The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel, which was built in 1825, at an expense of £600.

    About 240 children are educated in three public schools, one of which is endowed with a bequest of £400 from the late Rev. J. Valentine, which has accumulated to £865: the school-house is a good stone building, and cost £215. About 370 children are educated in six private schools.

    At Enniscrone, in this parish, is a coast-guard station belonging to the Sligo district; also a constabulary police station. Petty sessions are held on June 15th, and Sept 18th ; one is also held at Quiguboy on July 20th. At Pullogheany creek, on the east side of the bay of Killala, small vessels land kelp &c., in summer: it has tolerably good shelter in most winds behind the breakwater. The ruins of a castle are near this creek, and there are also ruins of castles at Enniscrone and Lacken.