Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.
ContentKILLERY, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. W.) from Dromahaire (Co. Leitrim), on the road from that place to Collooney and on Lough Gill; containing 2969 inhabitants.
It comprises 9135 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is of good quality, principally under tillage, and there is some bog and excellent limestone. Fairs are held at Ballintogher on Jan. 22nd, June 8th, July 28th, Oct. 17th, and Dec. 8th; and a manorial court is held there occasionally.
Oldcastle, the seat of E. Loftus Neynoe, Esq., was erected on the site of the old castle of Kingsfort; near it is a strong chalybeate spa.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united to that of Killenumery; the rectory is impropriate in M. Baker, Esq. The tithes amount to £96.18s.6d., of which one-third is payable to the impropriator, and two-thirds to the vicar. The church is a plain building, erected in 1715.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Killenumery, and has a chapel at Ballintobber.
About 140 children are educated in two public, and 110 in two private schools.
There are some remains of the old church of Killery, with a large burial-ground; and of an ancient castle at Drumcondra.