Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Sligo.
ContentKILMACALLANE, or KILMACALLEN, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. E.) from Collooney, on the road from that place to Ballyfarnon ; containing 4262 inhabitants.
It comprises 6711 statute acres, of which 5828 are applotted under the tithe act ; the land, which is wet and spongy, is chiefly in tillage, and there is a considerable quantity. of bog and marsh. Fairs are held at Castle-Baldwin on June 4th and Nov. 3rd.
The principal seats are Cooper's Hill, the residence of A. B. Cooper, Esq. ; Lakeview, of ??? Weir, Esq. ; and Heapstown, of M. Dillon Manning, Esq.
It is a prebend, rectory, and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin : the prebend consists of portions of the tithes of Taunagh, Drumcollum, Ballynakill, and Ballysumaghan, amounting to £158. 15s. 4d.; the rectory is impropriety in Viscount Lorton, and the tithes amount to £166. 3s. 1d., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar; the vicarage forms part of the union of Boyle. The church is a plain building in Riverstown, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners recently granted £183 ; the Board of First Fruits having given £900 and lent £500 for its erection in 1817. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 19 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Riverstown, comprising this parish, Drumcollum, and Taunagh, and containing chapels at Riverstown and Ballycash.
There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists at Riverstown.
About 270 children are educated in three public, and 330 in five private, schools ; there is also a Sunday school. Part of the old church remains, and the burial-ground is still used as a cemetery.