Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentARDMAYLE, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Cashel; containing 1914 inhabitants.
This appears to have been formerly a place of some importance; in many parts foundations of ancient houses have been discovered, and there are also remains of several castles. Of the latter, the castle of Sinone, consisting of a circular tower, is the most ancient; it is called in the Irish language Farrin-a-Urrigh, and it is said that many of Strongbow's forces, on their retreat from Cashel, were slain and interred here : human bones are frequently dug up near the spot, and within the last few years a very large helmet was discovered. The castle at Castlemoyle, at present consisting only of a square tower, was anciently the residence of the Butlers, and subsequently of the Cootes. Cromwell is said to have attacked it, and after gaining possession, to have hanged the proprietor: it still retains vestiges of its original extent, and appears to have been handsomely built. There are also some remains of another castle near the bridge.
The parish is situated near the main road from Cashel to Thurles, and on the river Suir, over which is a bridge of stone; it comprises 4772 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6225 per annum. The land is principally under an improved system of tillage; there is neither bog nor waste land. Limestone abounds and is quarried for building, and for burning into lime.
Ardmayle House is the residence of T. Price, Esq. ; Longfield, situated in a well-planted demesne, of R. Long, Esq. ; Fort Edward, of E. Long, Esq.; and Noddstown, of R. Armstrong, Esq., closely adjoining to which is a square tower. Here is a station of the constabulary police.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. W. Sutton and the vicars choral of the cathedral of Cashel : the tithes amount to £312. 9s. 2d., the whole payable to the impropriators, who pay the perpetual curate a stipend of £30, to which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners add £70. The church. with the exception of the old tower crowned with an embattled turret, was rebuilt. by aid of a gift of £800 and a loan of £150 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, called Bohirlahan, comprising Ardmayle and Ballysheehan, each of which has a chapel; the chapel for Ardmayle is situated at Bohirlahan, and is of recent erection.
A school of 56 boys and 22 girls is aided by Mr. Beasley, who erected the school-house, and the Rev. Wm. Kirwan, P. P., who supplies books and stationery.