Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentBALLYCAHILL, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of Munster, 4 miles (W.) from Thurles, on the road from Nenagh to Cashel; containing 1818 inhabitants, of which number 39 are in the hamlet.
It comprises 3884 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the lands are principally under tillage; part of the bog of Ballynahow is within its limits; and there is abundance of limestone, which is quarried for building and burning.
Castle Fogarty, the ancient seat of the O'Fogarty family, from whom it descended to its present proprietor, J. Lanigan, Esq., is a square castellated mansion, with embattled towers at the angles, and is situated in a fine demesne, comprising 450 statute acres, and richly embellished with wood. Prior Lodge, the property and residence of Rev. Dr. Prior, is situated in a small but tastefully disposed demesne; and Montalt, the property of J. Lanigan, Esq. is now in the occupation of William Ryan, Esq.
The hamlet is a constabulary police station.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, entirely impropriate to Mrs. Carrol and Mr. Fogarty. The tithes amount to £246 6s.10 .50 d., payable to the impropriators, who allow a stipend of £7 per annum to the curate of Holycross for the performance of the clerical duties. The church is in ruins; the Protestant inhabitants attend divine service at the churches of Holycross and Moyaliffe.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is united with Holycross; the chapel is a spacious and net structure with a tower.
There are three pay-schools, in which are about 150 children.
The remains of the castle of Ballynahow consist chiefly of a circular tower.