Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentBALLYGIBBON, a parish, in the barony of UPPER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of Munster,4 miles (E.) from Nenagh; containing 1074 inhabitants.
It is situated on the turnpike road from Nenagh to Cloghjordan, and comprises about 650 acres, as applotted under the tithe act. There is a considerable tract of bog, and limestone abounds in the parish.
Ballygibbon, the residence of D. E. Young. Esq., and Glanahilty castle, the property of W. Kennedy, Esq., are the principal gentlemen's seats.
A brewery at Bantis is conducted on an extensive scale by Edward Kennedy, Esq., who has also an extensive distillery at Cloghjordan.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and is part of the union of Ballymackey: the tithes amount to £101 10s.9 .25 d. There are some remains of the ancient church.
In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Toomavara or Aghnameadle; the chapel is situated in the parish of Ballymackey.