Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentBALLYGRIFFIN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of Munster, 3 .50 miles (W.N.W.) from Cashel; containing 1383 inhabitants.
It is situated on the river Suir, which is here crossed by a bridge, and comprises 2778 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 960 acres are bog.
Lisheen, the seat of Sir J. J. Fitzgerald, Bart., is pleasantly situated in a well-planted demesne.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Relickmurry or Athassel; the tithes amount to £191 8s.7d.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Annacarthy.
There is a pay school, in which are about 50 boys and 30 girls.
There are some remains of a castle, near which are the ruins of an ancient church or chapel.