Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentBALLYMOREEN, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of Munster, 4 miles (S.S.E.) from Thurles, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork; containing 1237 inhabitants.
It comprises 2870 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there are about 500 acres of bog, and of the remainder of the land, the greater portion is under tillage.
Parkstown is the residence of J. P. Lanphier, Esq.; and at Liskevin are the residences of R. Beere, T. Millet, and J. Going, Esqrs.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde. The tithes amount to £200, of which £60 is payable to the impropriator, and £140 to the vicar. There is no church, glebe-house or glebe; the members of the Established Church attend divine service at Littleton, about 2 .50 miles distant.
There are two pay schools, in which are about 100 boys and 60 girls.