Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Tipperary

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.


  • Place
    Ballynaclough
  • County
    Tipperary
  • Parish
    Ballynaclough
  • Content
    BALLYNACLOUGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of Munster, 3 miles (S.E.) from Nenagh; containing 1149 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the river Arra, which falls into the river Shannon at Drominear, and comprises 3701 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is all arable and pasture, the soil fertile, and the system of agriculture much improved. Limestone abounds and a marble quarry has recently been reopened on the demesnes of Debsborough and Ballynaclough, with a prospect of its being extensively worked; the marble is both of red and gray colour, and of very fine quality. There is a small corn-mill.

    Debsborough, the seat of J. Bayly, Esq., is pleasantly situated in a demesne tastefully laid out and well planted: the other seats are Ballynaclough, that of R.N. Bayly, Esq., and Bayly Farm, of Mrs. Bayly.

    A constabulary police force has been stationed in this parish.

    The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe, united, since the foundation of the deanery, to the entire rectories of Drominear and Kilkeary, and the vicarage of Terryglass, which four parishes constitute the union of Ballynaclough and the corps of the deanery of Killaloe, in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. Daniel and Mrs. Wall, and the Misses Elizabeth and Harriet Hardy: the tithes amount to £235, of which £156 13s. 4d., is payable to the impropriators and £78 6s. 8d., to the dean; and the tithes of the whole benefice amount to £408 6s. 8d. The church, a neat modern edifice, was erected by aid of a gift of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815. The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 7a.1r.18 1/2p., and there is also a glebe of 15 acres in Terryglass.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmore; the chapel is a modern building, situated on the townland of Ballyquiveane.

    There is a parochial school of about 20 boys and 20 girls, supported by the dean and John Bayly, Esq.; and there are two pay schools, in which are about 80 boys and 10 girls.

    The poor have the benefit of the dispensaries at Nenagh and Silvermines.

    There are some remains of the old church adjoining the present structure, and also of the castle of Ballynaclough, which have a picturesque effect.