Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentBURRIS-O-LEAGH, a post-town, in the parish of GLANKEEN, barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 36.25 miles N.N.W. from Clonmel, and 72.75 miles S.W. from Dublin city; containing 1340 inhabitants.
This is a place of considerable antiquity; it is situated on the road from Thurles to Nenagh, and comprises 237 houses. An extensive distillery was formerly carried on here; there is a brewery; and at Fantane, in the vicinity, is another, both on a small scale. Fairs are held on June 9th, Aug. 6th, and Nov. 27th, which is a large fair for pigs. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight; and here is a chief station for the constabulary police.
The parish church and a Roman Catholic chapel are situated in the town. A school for the Roman Catholics is aided by a donation of £10 per annum from the parish priest; and there is a dispensary.