Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentCALLABEG or KILNASEAR OR LOUGHMORE EAST, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2.50 miles (S.E.) from Templemore; containing 1600 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the river Suir, which separates it from Loughmoe-West, and on the road from Templemore to Thurles, and comprises 3417 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
On the townland of Killahara is a very fine old castle, which formerly belonged to the Purcells, and is now the property of Mr. Trant.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Templetuohy and corps of the prebend of Kilbragh in the cathedral of Cashel; the tithes amount to £249 17s. 9d.
There is a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls.